Pages

Leading with Spiritual Authority

True leadership and influence flows out of spiritual authority.

Spiritual Authority is the influence God grants to a leader. In a classic Kingdom paradox it is also something in which every leader must participate.

In many ways it is part of the “inside-out” nature of the Kingdom leadership. Spiritual authority is the by-product of a life of intimacy and dependency on Christ.

God grants to a leader spiritual authority, it is not something that is produced or gained through self promotion. Intentional character processing of a leader helps contribute to spiritual authority.

Spiritual authority is characteristic of a God-anointed leader. It enables the leader to influence followers from a base of experiential power through persuasion, modeling, and moral expertise toward God’s purposes.

Spiritual authority comes from a life and ministry which demonstrate the presence of God. A leader with spiritual authority knows the heart and call of God, and is able to demonstrate that intimacy in his or her leadership.

"Spiritual authority comes from a life and ministry which demonstrate the presence of God."

What then, are the postures of a leader who is surrendered to God, and whereby God grants a greater sense of presence and authority to bring Kingdom influence?

There are at least four postures that leaders take that experience increased spiritual authority. Each of these four postures runs in direct opposition to that which comes “natural” for most leaders. In every case it is easy to minimize our personal tendencies instead of seeking to embody these attitudes. 

1. The Posture of Surrender

Surrender stands in direct opposition to our desire to be in control; our fear of releasing control. It is all about who is allowed to reign and about our willingness to trust the King.

The challenge of Surrender means admitting that just like Adam in the garden my deep desire is to be like God, to be the ruler of my own domain.

The key question of Surrender is: “Who is in control?” 

2. The Posture of Alignment

Alignment confronts the fact that we love our own ideas and we love to do things our way. After surrendering control, the challenge is to align ourselves with His plans.

Each of us love to make plans, devise schemes, and then try to ask God to bless them. Our plans actually become our maintaining of control, and our negotiating with God for our desired outcomes. In reality its means the creative asking the King of the universe to compromise His plans by adopting our own.When we act this way we are in effect saying to God: "Follow me".

The challenge of Alignment means admitting that I really do believe my ideas can accomplish kingdom work. That I really do want to do God’s work my way.

The key question of Alignment is: “Who follows who?” Whether it be money, time, status or effort, we give it away gladly, in pursuit of God (Luke 21:2–4; 2 Corinthians 8:1–5). 

3. The Posture of Brokenness

Brokenness is being released from dependence on giftedness and competency and ministering in absolute dependence on God for anything of significance. The process of brokenness is one of separating a leader from their security and reliance on abilities, skills, giftedness, competencies, plans, notebooks, etc.

It learning that the needs of people go beyond the silver and gold they ask us for and which feels so great for us to give. It is the upside down message of Paul throughout Corinthians; the gospel of foolishness, this treasure in jars of clay (chamber pots), so that I might know His all, surpassing power.

It is the realization that it is not me at all and that the Kingdom is not a matter of words, or tools, or fads, but the power of God. It is about freedom from the need to be known “for my stuff.”

The challenge of Brokenness means admitting that I want people to be impressed with me. That I want to deliver from a posture of positional and experiential authority.

The key question of Brokenness is: “What do I rely on? What do I bring to the table expertise or desperate dependence?” 

4. The Posture of Vulnerability

Vulnerability admits that I need those I am here to serve, as much, or more than they need me. It is the demonstration that I am not someone who has arrived, or mastered life. I am a servant, in dependence and servant-partnership with Jesus.

Transparency is the process of letting people see into my life; it is letting them know about weaknesses and our needs. Vulnerability is the willingness to let these same people minister to those points of weakness and needs.

Transparency says: I understand, I am like you. Vulnerability says, I need you… probably more than you need me.

The challenge of Vulnerability is not only admitting that I have needs, but releasing the last vestiges of that desire to impress people. It is about confronting the sin based lie that pretends ministry flows out of what I do.

The key question of Vulnerability is: “Will I admit I need you? Will I choose distance (sanitary safety) or relationship? Will I allow people into the process of God’s work in my life?”

These FOUR POSTURES are not a formula, but open the door for the building of greater spiritual authority from the leaders standpoint. Leaders willing to assume these postures begin to see ministry flow out of beingness, as oppose to expertise or position. 

By Terry Walling

For more leadership resources visit their homepage:
http://leaderbreakthru.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment